Dear International Law Section members:
Welcome to the 2017-18 Section year! It is an honor to address you as Chair and to highlight for you the exciting events coming our way in the next year.
Thanks to the leadership of our Immediate Past Chair, Al Lindsay, and the tireless work of our leaders and committees, the state of the International Law Section is stronger than ever before. As reported at our annual meeting, our finances and membership are healthy. The quality of our new website, of our publications, and of our CLE programs is commended throughout the Bar. Our collaboration with other international law organizations, with other Sections of the Bar, and our legislative efforts make concrete our promise to make the Florida Bar International Law Section a platform for Florida’s international practitioners to Lead Globally with Information, Innovation and Insight.
Our next big event is the International Law Section Retreat to be held on September 29 – October 1, 2017, at the stunning Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa in Bonita Springs, Florida. Situated along the Gulf of Mexico in Southwest Florida, between Naples and Ft. Myers, the resort offers a multitude of amenities and activities including a secluded beach island, hydro-grid tennis facilities, 18-hole golf course designed by Senior PGA Tour Champion Raymond Floyd, a 19,000-sq. ft. full-service spa, a 5,000 square-foot lagoon pool with a 140 foot water slide and lap pool and six restaurants. As with past Retreats we will do some work and a lot of socializing. We welcome families and significant others and are looking for proposals for our second annual ILS Talks modeled on the TED Talks known to many of you. Please be on the lookout for registration details in the coming days and be sure to contact us if you are interested in giving an ILS Talk.
Another feature of the coming year will be the International Law Section’s outreach to our members and potential members outside South Florida. Planning is underway for an event in Orlando in November and for other events in Tampa and Jacksonville in 2018. If you are interested in helping with these events, please reach out to me directly.
Other important dates to calendar now:
- August 11, 2017, Deadline for iLaw2018 Proposals
- August 16, 2017, Florida Bar International Law Section Lunch and Learn featuring former Chair Edward H. Davis, Jr., Location: Fiduciary Trust International, Coral Gables, Florida
- August 18, 2017, Deadline for Submissions to the Fall 2017 International Law Quarterly
- September 29, 2017 – October 1, 2017, ILS Retreat and Executive Council Meeting, Location: Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa in Bonita Springs, Florida
- February 15, 2018, Florida Bar International Law Section Spring 2018 Executive Council Meeting, Location: Miami, Florida
- February 16, 2018, iLaw2018: The ILS Global Forum on International Law, Location: Conrad Hotel, Miami, Florida
- February 17, 2018, 2018 Florida Bar International Law Section Richard DeWitt Memorial Vis Pre-Moot, Location: JAMS, Miami, Florida
- June 13-16, 2018, Annual Florida Bar Convention and Executive Council Meeting, Location: Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek, Orlando, Florida
For additional details about any of the above events please visit our website (http://
internationallawsection.org). Also, please keep your news, events and photos coming so they can be featured in the Gazette and on the Section’s website’s calendar and news page.
All the best,